William Cox, who made a significant contribution to their extermination, claimed the last local black died in 1876.
William Cox's sons extended their Mudgee holdings into the Gulgong area when they established the 'Guntawang' cattle run in 1822, 8 km south-west of the present townsite. However, the Rouse brothers took cattle to the property and, in 1825, Richard Rouse was granted the station, upon which the village of Guntawang developed.
Tourist Information The Gulgong Visitors' Centre is located at 109 Herbert St. There are four very small rooms clustered around a narrow hallway. display, mining equipment, horsedrawn vehicles, an old schoolhouse, as well as Aboriginal and geological artefacts and displays.
The Museum of Sight and Sound is devoted to the history of Australian cinematography and sound recording.
However, as the word 'American' was considered inappropriate for inclusion on the note, the awning in the reproduction reads 'Gulgong - Dispensary - D. Another historic feature of Mayne St is the Prince of Wales Opera House.
It was erected of bark in 1871 and was probably the largest free-standing bark structure ever built.
One of Australia's most famous poets and short-story writers, Henry Lawson, lived at Gulgong as a young boy (1871-72) as his family pursued the prospect of quick money from Grenfell to Eurunderee (see entry on Mudgee) to Gulgong.
The Gulgong Folk Festival is held in December/January, the annual show in March, the Henry Lawson Festival in June. The museum's one-acre grounds include a reconstructed blacksmith's shop and the Gudgeon Cottage which provides an insight into a typical working-class home from 1891.Gulgong is now a town of some 2500 people, located 293 km north-west of Sydney, 28 km north of Mudgee and 466 metres above sea-level.The mainstays of the local economy are kaolin clay mining, magnetite mining, a flour mill, the enormous coal mine at Ulan (25 km north-east), tourism and rural industries such as wool, wheat, oats, cattle and fat lambs.During that time he hosted a luncheon for English novelist Anthony Trollope who visited the town and recorded his impressions in Australia and New Zealand (1875).Browne drew on his experiences at the goldfields in his novel The Miner's Right (1890).
The discovery of gold saw the gazetting of the Gulgong goldfield in 1866 but initial finds were negligible.